How To Restore Furniture You Already Have

Hey guys! Its no secret I love redoing furniture, my husband always jokes when we get new furniture and asks what I'm going to do to refinish it lol. I am so excited to share this tutorial on an old stand that I completely refinished and the thrift store pieces that I gave a complete makeover to. I have had this entry way stand for a while now and I have been wanting to redo it as a statement piece when you walk in the front door. I wanted to paint it white and first and then I decided to see what it looked like completely sanded down and I am so glad I did not paint it because it turned out amazing!!!




First I took a 120 grit sandpaper and got to sanding. This was the most time consuming part and took a lot of work. Luckily my husband and kids love helping me. Some places we had to sand with our hand rather then an electric sander just because the sander couldn't get into the small grooves.

Once everything was sanded we wiped it down with a damp cloth and made sure it was ready to paint on the polyurethane. This is going to seal it, you don't want to skip this step. Once it had dried for 24 hours I made sure it didn't need another coat and then added on the knobs which I already had but I had picked those up at TJ maxx years ago.

Then it was time to reassemble it, I put the drawers back on and at first I was going to paint the henges but I like that they looked "old". I definitely wanted to organize this drawer before I put it together so I grabbed some little storage bins at target and organized the drawer.

I cleaned up all of the dust wiped down the stand and screwed on the doors. I am just so happy with how it turned out and it even though it was a lot of work and time consuming it was so worth it! It is my favorite piece of furniture in my house right now and luckily it right when you walk through the front door.

All of the decor items on top were thrift store items and you can watch in the video below how I redid those.


 

No comments